Y Space Community Event: Accelerator Book Club
Have you ever made New Year’s resolutions but failed to follow through? Have you read bestselling self-help books that “didn’t work”?
Have you realized there is an unspoken problem with the conventional self-help industry? Knowing what to do is easy–actually doing them is difficult.
Y Space community, Accelerator Book Club is committed to assisting you to accelerate personal growth by exploring passions, transforming plans into action, and providing a space for collaboration and co-growth.
Every month, members come together to learn and discuss a topic that improves either health, wealth, or happiness. The discussion will be facilitated by the GrowthMaster of the Month who has prepared a workshop based on 2-3 top-rated books covering that specific topic.
Each monthly workshop will be followed by 3-4 weekly challenges to ensure that members to internalize and practice what they learned from the books, a process we call applying books (which > “reading books”)
Accelerator Book Club #1 – Find Your Y Factors
Why are we reading about this topic? We always hear the advice to “follow your passion,” but this seemly insightful advice is not very practical. According to the Standford professors Bill Burnett and Dave Evans who wrote Designing Your Life, “80 percent of people of all ages don’t really know what they are passionate about.” Equally sadly, according to a 2017 Deloitte study, only 13% of the U.S. workforce is passionate about their jobs.
Books covered this month:
- Designing Your Life by Bill Burnett and Dave Evans
- “And the research shows that, for most people, passion comes after they try something, discover they like it, and develop mastery—not before. To put it more succinctly: passion is the result of a good life design, not the cause.” (Designing Your Life)
- Managing Oneself by Peter Drucker
- “Success in the knowledge economy comes to those who know themselves – their strengths, their values, and how they best perform.”
- Find Your Why by Simon Sinek
- “The Golden Circle consists of three parts: WHY, HOW and WHAT. All three parts are equally important. When those three things are in balance we are at our natural best. We are truly living our WHY. Our WHY is our purpose, cause or belief—the driving force behind everything we do. Our HOWs are the actions we take when we are at our natural best to bring our WHY to life. Our WHATs are the tangible manifestation of our WHY, the actual work we do every day.”
Workshop slide deck:1. Find Your Y Factors_Workshop
Worksheet & weekly challenges:
To download the worksheets: please go to the Y Space Community Slack channel: YSpace.us/community